WHAT IS A HERNIA?
A hernia is a general term which refers to a protrusion of tissue through a structure or part of an organ. In other words, when something penetrates through muscle tissue or a membrane.
Hernias most commonly occur in the abdomen. A part of the abdominal wall may be weak and allows a localized hole to develop – this hole is also known as a defect.
In most cases a hernia will occur when the compartment which envelopes an organ receives increased pressure, which weakens the boundary.
Do these symptoms sound familiar?
- See or feel a bulge in your abdomen or groin.
- Experience abdominal discomfort.
- Experience discoloration of skin.
- Men may experience swelling or pain in the scrotum.
- Have nausea, vomiting, or fever.
- (In Hiatal hernias) Experience heartburn, indigestion, unusual belching, or difficulty swallowing.
SHOULD I SEE A DOCTOR? It is essential to have a hernia repaired through surgery. If a hernia is left untreated, it may increase in size and become more painful. Most importantly, any hernia can lead to more serious, even life-threatening complications. If you think you have a hernia, see your doctor. Your doctor can confirm the diagnosis and discuss your treatment options.
The hernia experts at SoCal Hernia are committed to making this process as easy as possible for you, from your first consultation to your recovery after treatment or surgery.